If you want to learn how to film yourself with a smartphone, then this blog post is for you. However, for best results, I recommend using a professional videographer.
Let’s assume you are a public speaker/lecturer and want to record yourself for 1 hour because you want to improve your performance by watching the video afterwards and share it with the world by posting it on YouTube.
Ask yourself first
- Does quality matters?
- If the answer is Yes, hire a professional – get in touch now
- If the answer is No, continue reading…
2. What do you want to be in the frame? (screen, flipchart, you etc)
3. Where the camera will be positioned and if you have access to a power socket? (You might need a power bank)
4. How far away from the camera will you be? The closer the better, but for a full-body shot, ideally 2 -3 m.
- Open a camera app and use the front-facing camera for convenience or the back camera/s for quality.
- Hold the smartphone in landscape format, not portrait/vertical.
- Make sure that there is little/no movement visible in the background (e.g. people walking through the picture, television, cars, children, etc.)
- Make sure that there are no bright light sources (e.g. windows, TV, computer monitors, lamps, etc.) visible in the background.
- Provide ample, bright light that is directed at you, the subject of the recording. Face a window, or direct a lamp towards your face.
- Make sure that there is no loud ambient noise (e.g. other persons, open window, radio, pets, etc.). Avoid large rooms with an echo.
- Position the smartphone on a steady and stable surface (put a chair on top of a table if you have to raise the smartphone to the head height or use a tripod if possible).
- Start recording, looking into the lens.
- Count silently to 5 before you start to talk.
- Speak loudly and clearly.
You can use iMovie (IOS) or VideoShow (Android) to edit your video, then upload directly to YouTube or as I said, get in touch and will help you.
Beside a smartphone, you might need the following accessories:
- External microphone
- Camera holder
- Power adapter/battery power bank